how to make ribbon work cushions-pillows
DIY, Home Decoration, Pillow & Cushions, Textile Designing

How to Make Ribbon Weaved Pillows-Cushions

I like working with silk ribbons in my textile design projects, I have been weaving handbags & wall arts with silk ribbons in past. It was fun creating with beautiful ribbons. Recently I made some black and white ribbon weaved pillows for black leather sofa of my client. That turned out so well, So I thought to share the making of that ribbon weaved pillow with my dear readers on the blog. I hope you will also like seeing what I have done. Let’s see How to make ribbon weaved pillows-cushions.

How to Make Ribbon Weaved Pillows-Cushions

how to make ribbon work cushions-pillows

Isn’t it looking perfect? I love how they perfectly done Alhamdulillah. These pillows are going to France!

I complete these within a week & sent to the customer. I was so happy to see her response When she got the package, Specially when she told me how her daughter excitedly appreciate the pillows. She sent me a voice message in which her baby girl was so happy to see these pillows on her sofa & having a cute message for me there. That made my day actually! Thanks baby Zenia! Love you dear girl.

So Here Today I will let you know how you can make a similar pillow/cushion for your sofa! Ribbon weaving is not a hectic job but it is very tricky! You can give it a try with any of your favorite colors. Here I have black and white because the leather sofa was black!

Supplies you will need :

Fabric – For Six Pillows

Ribbons – One inches wide 4 rolls

Board and Thumb pins

Needle, Thread & Scissors.

A pattern if you are following any, like This pillow.

how to make ribbon work cushions-pillows

Cut the fabric for cushion covers, Then cut ribbons according to your cushions size & pattern.

Let’s make it easy with step by step images tutorial. Let me know if anything is confusing :)

howto make fabric pillows with ribbon weaving

Let’s start working on the front side fabric of the cushion! Put the fabric on the board & fix with thumb pins.

For making this pattern, You will need to put 4 white ribbon strips, 6 black ribbon strips and then again 4 white strips.

Use thumb pins for fixing the ribbons properly in the line. When you are done, Start weaving of the ribbon.

how to make ribbon work cushions-pillows

Here is the weaving project going on! Complete the weaving & be sure to fix it with thumb pins, otherwise pattern shape might be disturbing! Working with silk is not easy!

howto make fabric pillows with ribbon

Here is the image before separating the fabric from the board. You can see base fabric in white color, Right?

Now next step is to make stitches with needle and thread & join the fabric & ribbons with a rough hem. So this will be helping you in removing thumb pins. Everything will be fixed right without making a mess.

After joining all the ribbons with the fabric. Now you will be removing thumb pins from the board.

Fabric Size was 15×15 inches. Ribbons strips size was 16×16 inches approximately. And we have to make a standard sized sofa cushion 14×14 inches when the sewing is done!

In next step, You will attach the zipper to the other side (back side) of the pillow-cushion. And then attach the front and back side together. Be sure to open the zipper when sewing the cushion & then turn the pillow outside.

Now loudly say WOW, It’s done!! YAY (This is what I do after completing favorite projects of mine)

how to make ribbon work cushions-pillows

Then I pack the pillow covers & put a gift inside and definitely my business card too. (Yeah, my every customer get a free gift from me with their product) I put it in a box & it’s ready to ship  :)

how to make ribbon work cushions-pillows

It looks more cute when I put the pillow on the sofa. As black & white is my all time favorite colors, So I like it even more.

You can have a look at my red & blue ribbon weaved pillow cover HERE

If you remember, Once I weave some ribbons with an already weaved handbag, Which look so pretty! Check that idea HERE and my another ribbon weaved purse HERE

I hope you liked my today’s article. If I missed any step or you feel something confusing, be sure to ask again in comments. I would like to elaborate in easy words!

If you want to buy any ribbon weaved pillow cover or any painted or designed cover, You can buy from me directly! Visit my shop & have a look at more products. Feel free to contact if you want to buy anything!

Buy Handmade from Creative Khadija

Handmade by Creative Khadija

Thank you so much friends. Feel free to share the article at your social media networks by using the buttons below the article or at sidebar :)

Have a great day friends.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

• Reply Maite February 16, 2016 at 3:51 pm

Magnífico trabajo, quedan preciosos.

• Reply pitavola February 16, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Precioso! una tecnica increible y un resultado fantástico

• Reply Mª Reyes February 17, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Un trabajo precioso, y una gran explicación. Besos

• Reply glamorous guilt February 17, 2016 at 8:04 pm

it is really amazing…..Congratulations on your shop opening.

• Reply Marie, The Interior Frugalista February 17, 2016 at 11:29 pm

Really cool idea – love your pillows!

• Reply Carol Cook February 19, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Your pillows are lovely and your tutorial is great. I might give it a try.

Thanks for sharing at SYC.

• Reply Claire February 20, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Your pillows are beautiful, you did a great job. Hope you stop by Creative Mondays and share them here too :)

Thanks for linking up to The Weekend Blog Hop

• Reply sherry@savvyapron February 20, 2016 at 3:38 pm

These are great! You make them look so easy. Thanks for the instructions!

• Reply Jess Powell (Babi a Fi) February 20, 2016 at 5:28 pm

This looks so cool! I definitely want to give it a go :D #FridayFrivolity

• Reply Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey February 22, 2016 at 3:18 am

What lovely pillows! You did such a beautiful job. I have old ribbons that belonged to my Grandmother — perhaps I could try to turn them into a pillow or two. I saw your link at Becca’s DIY Vintage Chic party.

• Reply Khadija's Creative Mind February 22, 2016 at 9:33 am

Thank you Ann :) Sure, try making a pillow & this way you will be saving a memory of your grandmother with you for so long :)
      Have a great day!

• Reply Kristina & Millie February 22, 2016 at 4:49 pm

beautiful! love the black and white combo – very bold and clear statement. Awesome diy tute, appreciate it!

• Reply teresa February 22, 2016 at 6:13 pm

I love it, what a great idea! And while the black and white works wonderfully, you have endless possibilities in terms of colors!

Thank you for sharing at The Really Crafty Link Party this week! Pinned!

• Reply Khadija's Creative Mind February 24, 2016 at 8:08 am

Indeed Teresa, You can choose colors according to your house interior & color scheme. Thanks for pinning :)

• Reply Michelle L February 22, 2016 at 6:15 pm

WOW! Just lovely, I love the balck and white and the shiny satin ribbons. Looks so luxurious. That was a lot of work, congrats on the happy little customer.

• Reply Khadija's Creative Mind February 24, 2016 at 8:10 am

Thanks Mich, I am glad you liked it. It was tricky yet fun making. I enjoyed it as well.

• Reply Dr Sonia S V February 23, 2016 at 11:33 am

Such a beautiful tutorial

• Reply karen February 23, 2016 at 3:27 pm

wow, I am truly impressed, I wish I could be that patient and creative. Stopping by from #TurnItUpTuesdays

• Reply Lisa/SyncopatedMama February 23, 2016 at 3:41 pm

These look so cool, but wow, I don’t think I’d have the patience to work with those slippery strips and I’m sure mine would end up looking like a big mess, ha! Thanks for linking up with us at #FridayFrivolity this week.

• Reply Khadija's Creative Mind February 24, 2016 at 8:13 am

Thank you Lisa, Come on dear, you can make it. It’s not much work. You can give it a try!

• Reply Cheryl February 24, 2016 at 1:02 am

Love the idea of weaving a ribbon pillow there would be so many variations ! Definatly worth trying….Thank you for sharing

• Reply Khadija's Creative Mind February 24, 2016 at 8:14 am

Weaving projects are always interesting, you can try with different colors & materials like velvet, silk & cotton etc. Thanks for visiting :)

• Reply Shellie February 24, 2016 at 1:06 am

Great tutorial…these pillows are so eye-catching! Thanks for adding your flair to the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop! This post has been pinned to our group board.

• Reply Christine at Must Love Home February 25, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Loved your project!! You have been Pinned, Tweeted and Posted to Facebook! Congratulations -Your post will be featured this week at the Friday Favorites Link Party. The party goes LIVE on Thursdays at 7PM at I hope to see your there! Hugs – Christine at Must Love Home

• Reply Khadija's Creative Mind March 1, 2016 at 8:37 am

Thank you so much dear Christine, So happy to get featured at your website & social media :)Have a wonderful day :)

• Reply Tousled day February 25, 2016 at 11:31 pm

I love this project! It has got so much potential with all the colors you could use! Love it!

• Reply Sandy Sandmeyer February 27, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Khadija, this is a really beautiful pillow! In fact, all of your crafts are so clever. Thank you for sharing your talent with us at the Over the Moon Link Party.

• Reply Khadija's Creative Mind March 1, 2016 at 8:40 am

Thank you Sandy, It was an interesting idea to try.

• Reply Karen March 1, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Great tutorial to follow. You have made a great business for yourself. Congratulations!